It’s October!! Even before Noël was born I would paint a pumpkin every year. One year Benson even participated with me and we (more I) painted a Spiderman pumpkin! That being said, pumpkin painting is a tradition of mine, so you bet that is something I plan to do with Noël every year. Last year Noël was one, so she had a small pumpkin, we used sponges, and she only wore a diaper. This year, I let her do the real deal. She wore her regular clothes (I forgot to change her) and she got a regular sized pumpkin.
I let Noël pick all her colors and she had so much fun!
MY FIRST PUMPKIN: yay!
If this is your first time painting a pumpkin with your little one, yay! I am not going to lie, this particular project is a little more messy than others, but totally worth it. As you can see, I set up a shower curtain as our covering on the garage floor. I also placed a paper plate under the pumpkin (if your little one paints the entire pumpkin, this allows the pumpkin to dry normally on any surface).
1. If your little one is old enough to say colors, let them pick a few. This is another opportunity to reinforce color recognition.
2. Set up your supplies. Put water in your bowl, ready the paper towels, place the pumpkin on the paper plate, brace yourself.
3. (optional) Add painters tape first to your pumpkin and later you can pull it off to create a different type of abstract look. We added the tape at first, but ended up just leaving it on. I wouldn’t do this in the future.
4. Let your little one use one color at a time. I would also use separate plates for contrasting colors or else you will just get brown paint. For example I placed all the warm colors on one plate and all the cool colors on another plate
5. Help your toddler rotate his/her pumpkin so the paint can be distributed all around
*also, paint pens can be used for detail or if you prefer less mess!
Noël was so proud of her pumpkin. She points it out every time we come home. If you want ZERO mess, have your little one just add colorful washi tape to a pumpkin. I got Noël a small white pumpkin and she added some yellow and gold washi tape to it.
HAPPY FALL! (Please excuse Noël’s home clothes pajama set)